For visits to any area library, contact the library directly. For a list of area libraries, click here.
Central Library Tours / Class Visits
Looking for an educational field trip? Teachers and Group Leaders are encouraged to arrange a visit to the Central Library (1 Lafayette Square Buffalo, NY). There's no better way to familiarize your students with what the library has to offer! We look forward to meeting you and your students.
A visit for grades 6 and under consists of:
- Tour of the building (including behind the scenes areas, the Rare Book Room and the Mark Twain Exhibit.),
- Library cards (if requested),
- Time to browse in the Kid's Space
- Story (if requested).
The entire visit lasts between 30 and 60 minutes.
For Grades 7 above, visits include:
- Tour of the building (including behind the scenes areas, the Rare Book Room and the Mark Twain Exhibit or tour of our Launch Pad MakerSpace.)
- Library cards (if requested)
- Please allow additional time for browsing
The tour is approximately 30 to 45 minutes..
- Must be scheduled by the teacher/group leader at least two weeks in advance.
- For children in kindergarten through grade six, as well as preschool visits, call 858-7192 OR submit an online request.
- For grades 7 through adult, call: 858-8900 OR submit an online request.
Library Cards for School and Group Visits
A library card is a passport to the world of information and we strongly support teachers in their efforts to get cards for students who don't already have one. To ensure that library cards are ready on the day of your visit, please follow these easy steps:
For information on how to obtain a library card and to print applications for your group visit Borrower Information. If you prefer to have applications mailed to your school or organization, call 858-8900. Allow two business days to process this request for applications.
Give the blank application forms to your students to take home for completion. NOTE: Each student's full name, address and parent/guardian information must be included on the application. Parent/guardian signature is required for students 16 years of age and under.
Two weeks before the visit, return completed applications to the Central Library for processing.
For individuals 16 years of age and under, library cards received at a class visit are for book borrowing privileges ONLY. To obtain Internet and /or DVD borrowing privileges for a child 16 years of age and younger, a parent or guardian must come to the library in person to sign a release form.
- Teachers must initial each completed library card application under the parent/legal guardian signature, verifying the information for each student.