The Buffalo and Erie County Public Library is committed to providing educational, recreational and informational materials and services to the community.
The Board of Trustees of the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, under Section 262 of the New York State Education Law, adopts rules to ensure an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of the services and facilities of the Central Library and its branches.
The Central Library Access Ramp provides the only direct access to the main entrance at Washington Street between Clinton St. and William St. of the downtown Central Library. The primary purpose of the Ramp is to provide unimpaired, accessible passage to and from the main entrance doorways. The periphery of the Ramp is also designed with reading benches and gardens to accommodate reading in an exterior area. The Ramp is also used on occasion for outdoor library programs and presentations.
Conduct on the Ramp disruptive to these Library purposes is prohibited. Conduct shall be evaluated by Library staff according to the following criteria and Library staff may request that activities cease or relocate to another area.
PROHIBITED CONDUCT ON THE CENTRAL LIBRARY ACCESS RAMP INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
- Engaging in disorderly conduct, fighting or challenging to fight, or using offensive words likely to provoke violence and/or using language that offends others.
- Disturbing other patrons or staff, e.g., disruptive behavior such as any loud, unreasonable, and/or bothersome noises created by persons, radios, music or audio players, TVs, cellular telephones or other sound amplification devices; this also includes but is not limited to obscene or threatening gestures such as staring at another person; or following another person on or around the premises.
- Carrying weapons of any kind.
- Possessing, distributing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Engaging in sexual conduct and/or lewd behavior (e.g. exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of other patrons, staff or volunteers).
- Damaging, destroying, or stealing any Library property or the property of another, patron, staff or volunteer.
- Any activity which may block or impair passage to and from the Library.
- Selling and/or soliciting, petitioning and/or canvassing. Petitioning and canvassing or related activity is restricted to a designated area at the north end of the ramp upon application to the Office of Development and Communications.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading, roller-skating, bike riding or other potentially dangerous or destructive activities.
- The Board of Trustees of the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, under Section 6 of the Erie County Local Law No. 5 of the year of 1996, has declared the Central Library Access Ramp as a “Smoke Free” area. Smoke Free prohibits the smoking of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless electronic cigarettes or using tobacco products on the Central Library Access Ramp.
- Sitting on ramp walls.
Failure to comply with the Library’s established policies, rules and regulations or violations of law may result in immediate suspension of Library privileges and/or in criminal charges.
Adopted March 2, 1999.
Amended May 21, 2009, per Res. 2009-23.
Amended June 14, 2012, per Res. 2012-24.