For Immediate Release: July, 2013
For More Information: Joy Testa Cinquino, Assistant Deputy Director Development & Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org
STREET MAP OF BUFFALO IN 1813 CONSERVED FOR LIBRARY
Greater Hudson Heritage Network Funded Conservation Project
A hand-drawn map by Charles North, made from an early sketch of the frontier village of Buffalo by merchant Juba Storrs in 1813, has been conserved with grant funds from the Greater Hudson Heritage Network for the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library. The map, measuring 26 x 20 inches, shows the locations of the homes and businesses of Buffalo’s earliest settlers, including Dr. Cyrenius Chapin, Ebenezer Walden and Seth Grosvenor, prominent figures in the village’s later development. The map, done in black ink on paper, shows several blocks of Buffalo’s original radial street plan, already initiated by Holland Land Company agent Joseph Ellicott, bordered by today’s Washington and Franklin Streets to Chippewa and Exchange Streets.
“This particular map of Buffalo, in 1813 is significant to our city’s history,” said Library Director Mary Jean Jakubowski. “It was drawn just a few months before the complete destruction of Buffalo in late December 1813 by British troops in retaliation for the Americans’ burning of Newark (now called Niagara on the Lake) across the Niagara River. The map is an important record of the frontier village which was devastated. As we know, many of the businesses and citizens returned and rebuilt the village very quickly, setting up this key waterfront community for an even greater history as the terminus of the Erie Canal.”
The six-month conservation project was completed by Clarence resident Patricia Hamm of Hammarts, LLC, a nationally recognized conservator. The conserved map will be on special exhibit in the Grosvenor [pronounced “Grove-ner”] Room in commemoration of the bicentennial of the burning of Buffalo this December .
The Grosvenor Room, named in honor of Seth Grosvenor, War of 1812-era merchant and benefactor of the Library’s precursor institution, the Grosvenor Library, houses the Rare Books & Special Collections department at the downtown Central branch of the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library at 1 Lafayette Square. Open during regular Library hours, the Grosvenor Room is a popular destination for the Library’s outstanding collections of unique, rare and locally significant genealogy, local history, Rare Books, maps, and music materials. To learn more about the Library visit the website at www.buffalolib.org.