“Bullying Stops Here” Campaign Announced
More than a dozen human service organizations joined forces with the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library System today to announce a community wide anti-bullying initiative for the month of October. The “Bullying Stops Here” campaign includes a pledge not to bully as well as a calendar of upcoming events.
Library System Director Mary Jean Jakubowski, Congressman Brian Higgins and local performer Rodney Appleby, unveiled details of “Bullying Stops Here” by signing a banner pledging their support in the stand against bullying. Banners will be in all 37 Buffalo & Erie County Public Libraries for patrons to sign showing their commitment against bullying.
“Consider your public library a safe haven,” said Ms. Jakubowski. “We are reminding folks that bullying affects a wide array of populations within our community. There are many service groups in our community with tools for how each of us can support others with kindness and fairness, to be more accepting of differences, and how to take a stand when you see any form of bullying or discrimination occurring.”
Aside from having the banners, Libraries, Erie County Hall, and all of the partner sites will have a printed “Bullying Stops Here” Calendar of Events with more than 30 activities taking place throughout October with a focus on the anti-bullying/peaceful coexistence theme. The backside of the calendar provides more than a dozen web resources from local groups that provide services to individuals, families, or friends who feel they are being treated differently or unfairly because of race, color, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, disability, sexual orientation, gender or age. Click here to download the calendar: /sites/default/files/staffs/testaj/Anti-bully%20calendar%20Final.pdf .
Congressman Higgins, a member of the Congressional Anti-Bullying Caucus, provided statistics regarding the degree of bullying incidents.
Middle school students from the Bennett Park Montessori School were on hand for the announcement.
- County of Erie
- Buffalo & Erie County Public Library System
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Buffalo
- Buffalo Public Schools
- Catholic Diocese of Buffalo
- Character Council of WNY
- Child & Adolescent Treatment Services
- Child & Family Services/Haven House
- Crisis Services of WNY
- Erie County Commission on the Status of Women
- Erie County Office of Advocacy
- Erie County Office of Disability Services
- Erie County Office of Social Services
- Erie County Sheriff’s Office
- Gay & Lesbian Youth Services
- International Institute of Buffalo
- Journey’s End Refugee Services
- Lutheran Services
- Parent Network of WNY
- People Inc.
- Rosen Publishing
- Self Advocacy Association of NYS
- University at Buffalo Alberti Center
- University at Buffalo School of Social Work
- Western Region PTA
- WNY Independent Living Center
- WNY Peace Center • WNY United.
For more information visit www.BuffaloLib.org.